Property FAQ

Can I own a property 100% freehold as a foreigner?

Yes, when you purchase a unit in a registered condominium that is within the “Foreign Freehold Quota”, you own the property 100% freehold in your name.

Please see our guide on owning property in Phuket for more information.

Do I get visa if I purchase a property?

No, buying a property in Thailand does not give the purchaser any visa.

There are different types of visas to allow you to stay in Thailand like retirement visas, work permit visas, student/study visas, etc.

If you are not eligible for these, you can also purchase a Thai Elite Visa that allows long stays and is valid for 5 to 10 years.

What are the taxes involved when buying and selling a property in Phuket?

Please see our guide on property transfer taxes and fees.

Do I need to come to Thailand to complete the property purchase?

If you are purchasing an off plan or new property everything can be done via email including the signing of purchase contracts.

If you are purchasing a re-sale property you can sign a Power Of Attorney that authorizes your Thai Lawyer to complete the transfer of ownership on your behalf if you are not able to be present.

Can I obtain a mortgage as a foreigner?

Yes, depending on which property you buy. A number of local banks offer mortgages to foreigners of up to 50% but only for condominiums in the “Foreign Freehold Quota”.

If you buy off-plan most developers will offer flxible payment plans, typically 2 to 5 years.

For re-sale properties, sellers will typically require 100% of the purchase price to be paid on title transfer although in some cases they may consider extended payment terms of up to 12 months.

How do I find a reliable company to rent and look after my property?

If buying in a new development there will normally be estate and rental management in place.

For standalone properties, PLH works with the most reputable rental managment companies on Phuket to ensure that our owners receive the highest level of service to ensure that their investment is providing the best possible returns.

How do I open a Thai bank account?

In order to open a Thai Bank Account you must be here present at the bank in person, the bank will require you to have your passport and copy of either your property purchase contract or your property title deed.

We assist all of our owners in opening a bank account, a member of our team will personally take you to the bank to explain the type of account you want and assist you with completing the necessary bank documents.

The bank will open your account immediately and also issue you with a pass book and ATM withdrawal card.

What is a Rai, Ngan and Wah in land measurements?

Although Thailand has adopted the metric system, traditional units are still commonly used, particularly for land, which is measured in RaiNgan and Wah:

1 Rai = 4 Ngan (1600 sqm / 0.395 acre)
1 Ngan = 100 Wah (400 sqm)
1 Wah = 4 sqm
1 Acre = 2.5 Rai
1 Hectare = 6.25 Rai