Property Title Deeds

Types of Thai Property Title Deeds

The title deed system in Thailand is quite complex and there are many different types of land titles in Thailand. However, only land with the three following titles should be considered be acceptable for purchase. It is also important to engage a lawyer who can carry out due diligence before you commit to any property purchase.

1. Chanote

The Nor Sor 4 Jor or Chanote is the clearest and most secure ownership title. It is issued by the Land Office using GPS to accurately map the boundaries of the land which are marked by numbered posts set in the ground.

A condominium may only be built on land with a Chanote title.

2. Nor Sor 3 Gor

The Nor Sor 3 Gor is a land title that has been upgraded from the Nor Sor 3 that has had its boundaries measured by aerial survey. It is not necessary to publicize any change of ownership.

3. Nor Sor 3

The Nor Sor 3 is a land title that records the boundaries of the land according to its neighboring plots. There are no posts to accurately mark the boundaries of the land. Any change in ownership of the land must be publicized for 30 days before it can be registered.

Land Title Due Diligence

A full historical title search and survey of the land should be undertaken by your lawyer before committing to any property purchase, including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Whether the title has been legally issued in accordance with the law.
  • Whether the seller is the legally registered owner of the land.
  • Whether there are any mortgages or other encumbrances (such as leases) registered over the land.
  • Whether the land has full and legal rights of access leading from the boundary of the land to the nearest public road. If neighboring land must be crossed to reach a public road, a servitude right or easement must be registered at the Land Office.
  • Whether the land is connected to utilities such as electricity and water.
  • Whether any building upon the land has been constructed in accordance building regulations and zoning and environmental laws, or whether building regulations and zoning and environmental laws will permit the type of development being considered.
  • Whether or not the seller is bankrupt or subject to civil litigation.